Re: [Amc-list] Nash (Rambler) steering wheel puller

Re: [Amc-list] Nash (Rambler) steering wheel puller

Tom,
I just had a peek into the '61 American TSM and looked at the
steering wheel puller.  The tool shown there, J-5290, looks like it's
about 3" long or so, and might be nothing more than a 3/4" pipe
nipple with a nut welded into the top end.  There appears to be a
taper on the business end.  I would at least test fit such a pipe
into the hole to see if the threads match (3/4" NPT is 1.05" dia and
14 TPI).  If so, just buy a 3/4" cap, drill and tap it for a 7/16" or
1/2" bolt, and thread it on the other end of the nipple. Back the
bolt out, thread the pipe down into the wheel, then tighten the
bolt.  If you want to get fancy, you can put a thrust button on the
end of the bolt to keep from mangling the end of the steering shaft,
but it probably isn't necessary..

--Glen