[Amc-list] 24 Hours of LeMons!

OK, we had our big meeting today, and we're on with competing in 24 Hours
of LeMons (see <http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/>). We have a real budget;
we're doing this for MAKE magazine, the whole thing will be written up as
an article, with video and all.

Our goal is to run til the end of the race, and get in the top 50%. Plus
make a spiffy article for MAKE magazine.

So we need a car. Craigslist, AQMD, etc. Though I hate to trash any AMC
car, two of us want to see an underdog make a go of it, so we're looking at
all comers with a strong preference for AMC.

The big catch is, TOTAL cost for the car -- not including brakes or tires
-- must not exceed $500 including repairs. Tires & brakes (and cage,
harness, etc) are considered "safety gear" and are unlimited.

So we're thinking that a Concord, Spirit, Gremlin or Hornet or Sportabout
would work great. It would need:

* disc brakes (IMPORTANT!)
* 258 or 304 in reliable shape (smokey, etc OK)
* manual preferred, but torqueflite OK (must shift OK)
* usable windshield
* suspension good to fair (I can fix)

It ought to have a Fatal Flaw:

* Crashed
* rusty
* ugly
* ruined interior
* etc

The car will get a cage. We will strip the car to the bare minimum for
weight and reliability. We'll scrap or sell stripped parts (interior,
glass, etc).

So if any of you in Southern California have such a car, email me.

If you're considering buying a parts car, or parting out a running car,
contact me!

We're looking NOW for a car, meaning, I have cash in hand and will buy it
tomorrow 9AM if you have it.