Re: [Amc-list] info on eagle transmission

4.2L 6 cyl Eagles got the 998 and Jeeps got the 999. 2.8 and 2.5 powered rigs got the 904 or 909 lockup. The upgrade for the Eagle trans is a 727 from an FSJ. (bolt in, no mods other than minor linkage adjustments) AW4 is even better, but it's 3.5" longer and the spacer required to bolt it to the Jeep tcase is @1" thick (available through http://partsmike.com ) Then you have to mod trans mounts, driveshafts, etc.

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] info on eagle transmission
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: Todd Tomason <jayscore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" There's definitely a 998, and also a 904.  I always forget about the 999.  In
" the mid 70's AMC generally used the 904 with the I-6's, and the 998 with the
" 304.  Not sure what they were doing in the 80's.

258 eagles normally got the tf998.

the 999, also known as the 32rh, was used in wranglers with the 4.0.
if it isn't a 32re [electronic version], i think it should work in an
eagle.  hmmm...  the 32re could be just the ticket with a 4.0 swap.

4-cyl eagles, jeeps, etc got the tf904[actually 909 with lockup]/30rh.