Re: [Amc-list] Performance 196

" From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I'd love to do something to a 196 OHV, and turbo does seem to be
" the way.
"
" Excellent machining would be a must; although the engine could
" only pull (even with balancing), what, 5000 max?  Wonder what it
" would take to port the heads/install bigger valves?  I was
" looking at mine, and wondering if you could machine the side of
" the head some - the 'valley' where you mount the intake manifold
" - and maybe cut it at an angle, so you could build a more direct
" route to the intake ports.  Hard to explain what I mean, but I
" was thinking if you could alter the flow of intake mixture so
" that it's more direct instead of having to make a 90, it might
" help.  Of course, you'd have to be able to machine in screw holes
" and make a custom intake manifold.  Manifold shouldn't be
" difficult as it's basically a straight plate.

my crazy idea --

keep the plate.  use it as a mounting bracket.  i don't think you have
to cut anything off the head to get a straight shot into the ports.

machine a little step in each intake port.  stick tubes right through
the plate so that their ends rest in the step.  how you shape them
above the plate is wide open.  you could do a ram's horn setup like
the ford 300...