Re: [Amc-list] Reinforcement on Rambler American

Thanks for the more detailed answer Matt! You know the later model Americans, especially 66-69, much better than I do. If I had actually took the time to LOOK at the parts book rather than going from memory I'd have seen the listings.

---------------
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 14:31:56 -0500
From: Matt Haas <mhaas@xxxxxxx>

Actually, the reinforcements were added mid year on 1968 models. I don't
have the exact date but it was before the AMX was out and I suspect it
was done during the 1967 calendar year since most safety standard
changes take effect on January 1. The changes were made to make the
American body meet the new standards for steering column intrusion into
the passenger compartment and the body tag on the door was also changed
to include the new safety standard number (I want to say it's 208 but
I'm not 100% sure on that). The short answer to what was changed is
basically the entire structure on the front of the car (external items
are unchanged). Some of the changes are:

* Front frame sills were extended to meet the rear frame sills.
* Additional bracing was added to the front sills.
* A new floor design.
* Changes to the firewall.
* Changes to the front inner fenders.

--