[Amc-list] Just Answer (website)

This is slightly offtopic in that it is about my Olds
but I just had to tell someone of my elation.

I bought a 94 Olds Cutlass from my neighbor (cheap)
because it had a leaking cooling system and he just
did not want to mess with it.  It had other problems
from lack of maintenance if not outright abuse.  But I
got it cheap and could have junked it if I could not
have repaired it, and come out about even.

I fixed everything but the driver's side power window.
 I had purchased a factory service manual (4 inches
thick) off of Ebay and I did the diagnostic tests on
the window to prove that it was a defective relay
module and not the switch or the motor.  The relay
module powers the window fully up or down if you hold
the switch for more than just an instant.  Chevy and
Olds have this feature.  Buick doesn't.

Unfortunately the TSM showed the module as being
located under the driver's side dash in a very
inconvenient place.  I was SO dreading disassembly of
the dash because I had poked around under there and
could not even see the correct wiring harness, let
alone the module.

I did a web search and found www.justanswer.com which
offers to answer technical questions about car and
appliance repairs among other things.  I submitted a
question to the site, describing my car (incorrectly)
as a Cutlass Supreme, not a Ciera.  I got an answer
back this morning accompanied by a incorrect wiring
diagram (for the Supreme) and a statement that there
was no such relay module.  I realized my error and
resubmitted the correct description of the car as a
Ciera along with an apology.  I got an answer five
minutes later with the correct wiring diagram AND a
statement that a technical service bulletin had been
issued which RELOCATED the module to an easily
accessible location under the passenger side dash.  I
was so pleased that the technician answering the
question HAD THAT SERVICE BULLETIN.   The correct
information is great stuff.  I thanked the guy
profusely.

The cost to use the site varies from $9 to $30 per
question (customer choice).  Because I am a Rambler
guy you can guess which price I chose, but I did give
the guy a bonus along with wishing him a Merry
Christas.    I'll go to the junkyard this week and see
if I can pull a relay module.  GM wants $75 for a new
one (ouch).

Joe Fulton