Re: [Amc-list] 195.6/T5

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" Jim, the T-5 is similar to the SR-4 in dimensions. The bearing
" retainer is a good bit larger in diameter than the retainer on
" the SR-4. The top two holes on the T-96 bell should align with
" the top two on the SR-4 IIRC. I considered mounting an SR-4 in my
" old 63 American once, and put an old SR-4 up to a T-96 bell. I
" didn't compare the input shafts though. I figured a 1/2" aluminum
" plate would be needed. The top two bolts would go right through
" to the T-96 bell, the retainer would fit in the plate, two flush
" bolts would hold the plate in the bottom two T-96 bell holes, and
" two bolts would go through the plate to the SR-4 where the plate
" hung down past the T-96 mounting surface. I didn't know at the
" time that the retainer was so crucial for centering the
" transmission though! The plate would have to be bolted to the
" back of the T-96 bell perfectly centered in order for such a
" simple adapter to work. That's the only hard part. If the trans
" is more than 0.004" off center you won't be able to keep a clutch
" in it.

my original idea for the plate had one side milled to leave a 4.25"
dia lip on the bellhousing side, to align the plate.  it would have a
4.85" dia recess for the tranny retainer on the back side and 4
pockets for the retainer bolt heads.  and i think a 1/2" plate would
be thick enough for threads for the tranny bolts.  they could be
helicoiled.

frank, you should be in the perfect position to see how the t96/t14 and
sr4/t4/t5 patterns compare - your multipattern bell has both, right?