[Amc-list] undetectable pinging?

I'm still having a blast driving this Twin Stick American! It's
fun as hell. It's actually pretty quick and nimble in traffic,
it tosses around OK, though I imagine it looks pretty funny
tilting and leaning all over the place with no anti-roll bar!

I'm having a very subtle funny behavior from the motor. It's
nothing mechanical, or broken. I think it's ignition timing
related.

It's very subtle; I drive the same route (hell, same lane
changes!)  so I notice small stuff. Sometimes it takes a bit
more throttle foot to maintain speed, and the temp gauge reads
higher than normal; it's all well within normal operation though;
it's almost not noticable.

I suspect it's silent pinging, light detonation or pre-detonation
that's killing a few HP (very few) and the heat's staying in
the head. On a 35 mi. (each way) trip today it did this; tank
was nearly empty, and I filled up at an Arco station I've never
been to.

5 miles later, the temp guage ran lower, and it made 65mph
cruise with less throttle. It's jsut barely less, and I think
most people wouldn't notice, hell, I might not notice if the
car had more bulk HP to begin with!

Question: if you can't HEAR it ping, is there any other way
to detect pinging? The plugs are *perfect*. It's not that
much detonation.