Re: [Amc-list] Timing Chain istallation - 4 degrees keyways

Re: [Amc-list] Timing Chain istallation - 4 degrees keyways

" From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Someone on the FSJ-List recently mentioned installing the timing set
" for 4-degrees advanced to make the Jeeps run better.  Who said that,
" is I can't find my email about it.  I'd like to hear more since I'm
" getting ready to install a new billet timing set on the Jeep while
" the timing cover is off.  Thanks!

the year is relevant too!

afaik there are 3 stock cams: the '80s 258/4.2, the late '70s 2bbl
258, and all the others '64-'79.  this last cam has iirc 244* 'on the
ramps' duration, while the others are both in the upper 250s but
slightly different.

i can't imagine advancing the 244* cam would help any; my 199 can
already pull my 3.08-rear american smoothly from idle in top gear.

supposedly the late '70s cam can be -retarded- 13* for significantly
better top end power, as that's what the amc showroom stock race team
did.  they may even have influenced its profile.