Re: [Amc-list] How about no fuel at all?

Re: [Amc-list] How about no fuel at all?

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" For you guys buying new shop tools, this applies to those as
" well!  Air is one of the least efficient methods of powering
" tools.  Electric (corded or battery) are more efficient as far as
" power use.  So why are air tools so prevalent?  They tend to be
" lighter since you don't have a heavy electric motor or batteries
" to carry around.  The "cord" (air hose) is a bit heavier and
" stiffer though.  I buy electric when the tool won't be to bulky to
" use around the shop and has enough power.  Has made me re-think
" buying a bigger compressor, but there are some things (like
" painting) that you have to have a compressor for, and once you
" have a decent compressor may as well use it...  even if it does
" cost a bit more to operate.  Air tools generally are cheaper once
" you take the cost of the compressor and hose out of the equation,
" but when you factor that in electrics still come out on top cost
" wise.

air tools can also be quite a bit more powerful than electric.  ever
try to pick up an electric 3/4" drive impact wrench?  i don't think
there even is one.  this is a corollary to your weight comparison.

they're also cooler, since the half the power part - the compressor -
is removed from your hands.