Re: [Amc-list] where did everyone go???!!!

Re: [Amc-list] where did everyone go???!!!

I haven't been up to any Rambler stuff :[
Drove it Sunday.
Wouldn't you know it, I stopped for gas and it would not restart.
 No crank again, as before, volt gauge shows about 11.7 volts or so and drops way down to about 8 volts and it just grunts.I gave it a couple of minutes and it cranked a bit faster then died again.
  Lucky thing was the station had the pumps on a raised island hump and about 100 ft of open parking lot ahead!
So I put it in neutral and gave it a heave forward and hopped in. when the nose dropped off the hump it started rolling pretty quick. The lot was level now, so I had to act fast. I stuffed it into that steep AMC-T5 4-1 first gear and with the key on, I popped the clutch! It barked the 255/60's and fired right up! There was a poor woman standing on her porch on the other side of the parking lot. I think she had to change her drawers when the American lurched forward heading straight at her! She was not happy....
   Drove it home with no problems. Got home and it starts right up every time. I suspect either the cable has corroded when it is installed in the brass battery clamp , AGAIN, or my Optima is shorting out internaly. It is very old, so I think it is the battery.
   I'll check the clamp and if it is good, I'll put our boat battery in it for the winter and see how it behaves.
That way I won't have ot buy a new Optima now and the boat battery won't sit around unused all winter!
  I've driven the American more the last two weeks then I did all summer.
One poor woman about crawled out of the truck she was riding in to look at it as they passed me on the road while I was driving up to my Mother-in-Laws. I had more than a few double takes as you realy don't see many cars like mine cruising on a cloudy 40 degree day in November in western Pa!!! I personally enjoyed it a lot.
 No need for A/C! Had the mp3 jacked into the soudn system!!! Good times!!!

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>