Re: [Amc-list] 75 Hornet to 71 Hornet

-- Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx <Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The bumper is actually a "good" problem if your doing a custom swap!
> You can tuck the bumper up tight and loose the big gap the 5mph rule
> caused! I've seen a few year to year swaps, such as Hornet clips on
> Gremlins etc; If done correctly they can look very sweet.
> Tucked bumpers help too.
> I don't recollect there being any major problems to doing this.
> Over there, getting the parts will likely be the biggest issue!

Yeah, I have a 70 Hornet, but had a 73 parts car for a while. I got to
stare at the mix'n'match possibilities.

While there's nothing like holding a fender in place and seeing if it fits!
but if I recall the fenders ought to bolt on (70 --> 73), hood should
align. Hood latch is all different; 72-up has that annoyin inside the car
pull thing, the 70 has old-world external pull. Might need to swap or
re-fiddle the front valance or whatever you call that dent collector sheet
metal under the bumper.

The bumper mounts are totally different. The 70's are like british sports
car bumpers, a mere inconvenience when bending the frame around a pole.
Rear especially. But they sure look nice doing it! You should be able to
just drill holes in the front frame and use the 70 through bolts, but I
think there's a tubular support in there on the 70 'frame'. Rear, I dunno,
it's totally different, the 70-71 rear sheet metal is 64-69 AMERICAN! style
(hint hint). 72-up is very different. Even the gas cap, trim, everything!
Maybe the deck lid is the same.

The other idea might be to dismantle the 73 bumper supports and take out
the springs, collapse them to taste, and drill and pin or weld them.

The 70 has got to weigh 300 lbs or so less than the 73 too. Side-collision
door and rear Q. braces, bumpers, etc... all not present on 70.