Re: [Amc-list] Breadbox American 440H with Twin-Stick

Re: [Amc-list] Breadbox American 440H with Twin-Stick

-- Sandwich Maker <adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

re: T14+OD
> i'd guess only '68-9.  the t15 was also offered with o/d those years.
> the '68 tsm says t14-o/d with 232 and t15-o/d with 290 in rebels and
> ambos.  americans only got o/d with t96 and 199.

Probably too rare to actually look for... though I'll make a weak attempt.

The T96+OD in the American is definitely the weak spot at present. It's ill
behaved when cold (hard to pull to N from 1 when declutched, makes a noise)
and it internally locked up twice at that time (BANG! when I clutched 1 to
N). I now baby it into N first few times in the morning. That's not good.
Plus it leaks from all seals, a lot! It's getting grindier shifting 1 to 2
(when cold) or 3 to 2 no matter how careful I am. (85W-140 in there, should
be 80W or 90.)

If I can find the parts I can rebuild it, but I worry about finding the
parts (seals, synchros, etc). The T-14 is tempting (I have one, plentiful,
strong, I think it fits in the hole) but it would ruin this car to not have
OD! My "spare" T96+OD I am pretty sure is not Twin Stick (big spread 2nd).

The T150+OD I have is wrong on all counts (input, bell, huge size, length,
...)

> i wouldn't be surprised if they're so rare that dick and others just
> overlooked them.

I'm sure that's it.