Re: [Amc-list] Selling My Car (Bottom Line Period)

Mark Price wrote:
>Sold my Brothers 80 Mustang coupe 15 years or so ago.
>Guy wanted me to come down on price, I would not budge, said it was my brothers car and >could not come down. I tried to call my brother for him, not home etc;
<snip>

>He finally caved and bought it, paid the full $2500. Here in WV it is legal to sign a title over to >someone and let them deal with it. I did so, it's the last time I will ever do so!
  >The guy never transferred it! He screwed up the signed title and kept calling my brother to >meet him to straighten out. My brother drove 50 miles twice and got stood up by the guy!  >This was about 3 years into the deal!
 <snip>

When my brother sold his Pacer a guy from Oregon wanted to buy it. He sent my brother a deposit with a letter saying he was going to buy it for my brothers asking price. The guy drove up here to Spokane and when he got here he started trying to talk my brother down $200 because of a ding in the fender, which he had been told about and there was a picture of it in the ad. My brother told him no, he knew about the ding and agreed to this price. The guy kept insisting so my brother handed him back his deposit and, while the guy was still standing there, called the next guy in line and told him it was for sale again. The guy #2 said he wanted it (and did come buy it a couple days later). Guy #1 started trying to negotiate with my brother and he just told him nope, sorry...It's sold.

In Washington filing a sellers report releases you from liability. The seller has 5 business days to file a sellers report and the buyer has 15 days to transfer the title into their name. When I sold the Classic, the guy came and looked at it and said he wanted it but had to discuss it with his wife first. He called me that evening and said he would be here the following weekend and would give me the price we negotiated. He called the next friday and said he'd be there the next morning and showed up right when he said he would. He gave me cash, I signed and dated the title and filled out the sellers report with his name, address and phone number. We loaded the car on his trailer and while he was strapping it down I went right in the house and went online to the DMV website and filed a sellers report (he had told me that he was going to stop and transfer the title on his way home).

Now, on another car that was mine but was in my dads name. I sold it to someone and my dad just signed over the title and didn't bother with a report. The person was taking it to Bonners Ferry, ID. We warned them about driving it long distances until they got some issues fixed. About a year later we received a call from the police in Helena, MT. asking us about this car because it was abandoned along the road there and there was a transient living in it. My dad told them we had sold it and didn't have any info on who we sold it to. He asked if we wanted to come get it and dad told him that we did not want it back (it was an 82 chevette, not worth messing with) so he said that was all he needed to know and he would take care of it.

Jamie Smith
Spokane, WA