Re: [Amc-list] More Brake Questions

More important than hose location is bleeder location. The bleeder MUST
be at the top of the caliper or you'll never be able to bleed the brakes.

Note that it doesn't really matter if the caliper is to the front of the
wheel or to the rear. Different models and makes have them mounted
whichever way is convenient. To switch from front to rear (or
vice-versa) just take one side and move it to the other. AMC normally
mounted calipers to the rear, but on 58-63 Americans they mount better
on the front due to clearance issues with the hose. I don't think you
can mount them to the rear at all, I'm sure I tried that way first
(years ago!!). I've not converted a 64-69 American, and it's not an
issue on the big cars -- my 63 Classic has the calipers to the rear.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"