Re: [Amc-list] Power Steering

A: Sometimes it's a lil POS blocking the valve. I take the hoses off the pump and face them down into a pail then force air back through the return line, through the box and turn the wheel back and forth to empty the system. Replace it all with fresh synthetic fluid and call it good unless it still heats up.

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Power Steering
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

NO, definitely not normal for the fluid to get that hot! If everything works right otherwise I'd suspect a bad/sticky bearing in the pump itself. Friction could be heating the fluid. That's the only thing I can think of, as anything inside the steering box would cause steering problems. I'd change the pump. With it sitting 25 years it is very likely gummed up from old PS fluid.

------------------------
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:20:23 -0400
From: Don <don_nsx@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Guys,,,,,, a question ???
I am in the process of getting my 70 AMX back on the road and something odd is occuring to my power steering, in my opinion.
It all seems to work correctly, but the fluid reservior gets awfully hot after a normal drive.
Hot enough that you can't check the level without gloves.
It's been 25 years since the car was on the road but I don't remember there being that much heat there.
What do you guys think? Is that normal? And if it isn't, what is causing the problem?
I guess I could add a power steering cooler like some of the newer iron out there, but would rather not.
Any help?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"