Re: [Amc-list] 2.5L Question

,> From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>> Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 2.5L Question> To: <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> Message-ID: <BAY114-W42F10502E3A7E362231475AC970@xxxxxxx>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"> > A: As you already have been told, it's the same as 2.8L GM V6 (and FWD Caddy Northstar amongst others) I happen to have > one for sale here in Seattle (4x4, but that's just an output shaft swap) with flexplate and CPS for $75. If you can find> an '89 up XJ or MJ, they came with AW4 and 4 cyl too.> Here's the situation:  I asked this for a friend/coworker that has a '95 YJ.  This is towed behind a RV most of the time, and used pretty much exclusively at the RV parks and about whatever town they are in.  It NEVER sees offroad.  It currently has a 5 speed manual which is on it's way out.  So, what he wants to do is put a 2WD auto behind it, shelve all the 4WD trans, Xcase, and driveshafts, and fab a driveshaft for the trans to rear diff, leave the front alone.

Not my idea, I was just trying to get some info for him on what he could use when looking in the junkyards for transmissions.  I kinda thought that the AMC pattern (72-up) would fit and I'll pass on that it does not; to look for a 2WD XJ or MJ, or look for a 2.8L GM such as in a S-10.  I'll pass on the trans you have, although I'm not sure what it would cost to get that to beautiful Mims, FL 32754.

I really don't think he cares that it's a OD auto, so an older 3 sp would be fine if there is such an animal easy to find.

Jim Boone
Mims, FL