Re: [Amc-list] Brake Balance

" From: David Crooks <david.crooks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I got to ask, why the fronts first?
" I'd rather hang the tail out then loose steering control....
"
" --
" Mark,
" I'm afraid you're the exception to the rule!
" Most people prefer the under steer of locking the front's first,
" rather than unexpectedly spinning during hard braking.  Part of this
" may be past experience, as all the car companies bias the brakes
" 5-10% towards the front, but in my experience most people prefer to
" slide in a straight line, rather than doing a 180....

that's because your average appliance driver's brain locks up before
the brakes do.  most of these people would really be happier with a
star trek transporter for getting around, never mind it kills you
every time you use it.

tires can't brake and steer to the limit at the same time; maximum
traction is a product of the two.  if you modulate the brakes around
the rear-lockup threshold and they lock first, you'll always have
steering margin.

nb. when you're about to hit something large and immovable, doing a
180 first could significantly reduce your injury chances.  think about
it.