Re: [Amc-list] '63 Classic 990 (327ci) -- with Twin Stick?

Re: [Amc-list] '63 Classic 990 (327ci) -- with Twin Stick?

> i don't know year specifics, but the t89, which is what the 327 had,
> got o/d - in fact, the last warner r10 app i know of is a '71 ford
> pickup with 390 and t89 - so all that would be needed was a custom
> gearset with a lowered 2nd ratio.

It's that last that makes "Twin Stick" special -- I suppose it could have
been offered with a normal 2 - 3 ratio spacing, ala ordinary overdrive, and
just kept the sticks for marketing.

I've never heard of, nor could find any reference to, a wide-ratio 2-3
T-89.

The 1963 TSM states the two 2nd ratios clearly for the Twin Stick T-96
(1.630, but with Twin Stick, 1.906), but the "80 series" (Ambassador)
simply states 2nd is 1.86, a very ordinary 2nd gear for a v8.

Note that even the T-96 for the Classic and American states with TWIN
STICK, not WITH OVERDRIVE. I'm fairly sure pull-cable overdrive got the
normal 2nd ratio; as far as I know, most ODs were used as a "4th gear" for
cruising, and that the Rambler Twin Stick as developed in the American is
unique.

All Twin Sticks did get all the fancy logic; pull-cable OD got the minimal
lock-out and kickdown logic.