From: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Frank Swygert
Sent: Sunday, 21 October 2007 5:57 AM
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8s cast by Renault?

That's not entirely true Ralph! AMC has connections with Renault going back
to the sixties. In the late sixties AMC and Renault partnered in a project
to develop a rotary engine. In the early 60s (around 64) Renault built
Ambassadors in a plant in Belgium. The first were assembled, but later
models were built there, body and all. I assume they imported the engines
and other running gear though. It was really a Classic with Ambassador
nameplates and trim, with the 232. Renault also bought out IKA (Industries
Kaiser Argentina) in the 70s and inherited the IKA Torino and the Kaiser
Jeep Tornado OHC six. The Torino was built through 1982. IKA also built
other AMC based cars. The 66 Classic/Ambo was built there through the early
to mid 70s.

As fas as I know, however, none of those cars ever had V-8s. All the Belgian
built cars had 199 or 232 sixes, mainly because taxes were paid by engine
size. It was a large car for Europe and marketed against Mercedes "fintail"
(58-65 190/220/300) sedans. They used the Classic body for a little weight
advantage and Ambassador trim to move it more upscale. All the Argentine
cars used the Tornado OHC six.

It's possible that Renault built some AMC V-8s in France, but there would
have to have been a use for them in substantial volume. Even if it were used
as an industrial engine I would think we would have heard about it! It would
have most likely been more cost effective for Renault to ship them from the
US since they owned the plant anyway. But then one French company did cast
Ford L-head V-8s through the early 80s for the French military (wonder what
it was used in?), so maybe there were some AMC V-8s cast over there. Hmmm...
through the early 80s... about the time Renault took over AMC... I wonder if
an AMC based 304 took the place of the Ford flathead V-8?? Could be! And if
it's a military only application, that would be why it's not general
knowledge. Anybody know any car buffs in France? See if they know what the
Ford flathead V-8 was used in, then if they know what replaced it.

Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 11:49:37 -0700
From: "RetroRalph" <retroralph@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Sure don't see how.  Renault wasn't around AMC before about 1980 as I
recall.
Ralph Ausmann  -  Hillsboro, OR - > <ralph.ausmann@xxxxxxxxx>
http://mysite.verizon.net/res79g4m/