Re: [Amc-list] Rear end axle problem

When I got my 72 Javelin SST many moons ago, the left axle shaft was
bent, somewhere around the hub. The car was driveable, but the wheel
would wobble mightily. That was why the car was sidelined in 1982 and
not used for the subsequent 14 years.
Anyway, when I got the car, I didn't have a spare 71-74 Javelin rear end
laying around anywhere, but I did some research and found that the
pre-74 Matador/Ambassador rear axles were the same (the LH was, at any
rate). I happened to have a 72 Matador sedan parts car sitting there, so
I pull the LH axle/brake plate from it and it turned out to be a perfect
fit in the Javelin's housing. It's been in there for about 20,000 miles
or so now, and has had nary a problem in the meanwhile. I didn't shim it
or otherwise modify it, it just slipped right in. I even reused the
Matador's bearing and outer dust seal. I think (I hope) I had the
foresight to install a new inner grease seal. Haven't had any leakage,
so I must have....

Jeff Reeves
Auburn GA
94 Cherokee