Re: [Amc-list] Rear end axle problem

It sounds like the years of the axles may be different. I think it was
in 71 that the right side axle became a little longer, the left sides
are the same all years (for Javelin). Although the 68-70 axle assembly
is a little narrower, it will bolt under a 71-74. Could be a problem
with mixed backing plates and drums too. Different width drums have
different backing plates. You're likely to run into problems like this
when switching parts between axles that you don't know the history of
(mainly what they came from -- you could have some American axles in
there!). You may need to take the whole mess to a driveline shop and pay
them to set it up. Won't be cheap, but may be the quickest and best way
to get it going. They may not want to mess with a pile of unknown origin
parts though.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"