Re: [Amc-list] 63 American (re-)maiden voyage

That 10W30 in the trans may be weeping onto the clutch. I would back the
adjustment off slightly to get more pressure on the disc.

From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [Amc-list] 63 American (re-)maiden voyage
To: AMC List <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

The car drives fine now! Wide tires feel great, the alignment worked out
fine, easy to steer and stable at speed. Did the first highway run, 50, 55
then 65mph. Flat and smooth, no wander or noises. Not much power either,
but hey no surprise there.

Not bad though, and I didn't push it to the floor. Shifter and trans is
fine (meaning, it's a T96 in it's factory-equipped glory, no ADDED
surprises.)

Bad news on the clutch though. Doesn't grab til the top of the pedal, and
though it is smooth, no chatter etc, on the flat and level, say 35mph in
third, floor it and it slips BADLY. Let off, it grabs.

Pedal has about 1" of play, should have 1/2" to 3/4". Pressure plate
probably got a mouse nest in it (happened to my Studebaker truck ages ago).

I drained the trans and OD, to check, and refilled. With 10W-30. It's
already making puddles. Probably a mistake :-) Probably stirring up old
sediment, I'll re-drain and fill with 90W. "Soon."

I'll continue to drive locally on the bad clutch but not long trips, it may
slip slightly on the highway and get really hot. But local drives OK and
that will shake out small problems.