Re: [Amc-list] Good news--maybe.

" From: "Clarence Milstead" <cmilstead@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I've written about my 1971 turbo Gremlin several times and asked if there
" was a good replacement for the BW aluminum transmission. Most people say
" "no" and one mentioned a TH400 from an ancient Postal Jeep. While
" corresponding with a friend of mine he mentioned NOVAK Conversions, he said
" he had a Jeep years ago and talked to them about an adapter to install a
" Chevy V-8 (BOO). Anyhow I Googled NOVAK and sent them an e-mail, they
" responded and said they thought they could help me and several people had
" used their kits on "early" AMC six engines. They adapt to GM Hydramatic
" transmissions only, they say they are the best ones to use. The main use of
" their adapters is in Jeeps. Here's my question, if we can work something out
" which is the best transmission to use? To me it looks like the TH700R4 which
" would give me the overdrive I want. Also I think all Hydramatics are liquid
" cooled and I don't have that kind of radiator, can I use a transmission
" cooler or must I bite the bullet and change radiators? I know I'll have to
" move/change the crossmember but will that be a problem? Any comments or
" guidance will be appreciated. Has anyone ever used one of these adapters?

first thought - do they really understand your engine -does-not- have
the v8 bellhousing pattern?  like advance, their adapter may only work
with '72-up sixes.  before '72, only the big jeeps used 232s - ask if
it will work with say a '68 wagoneer.
second thought - if the adapter really does fit '64-'71, what brien
said about the 700r4 and the 200-4r may be worth thinking about.  the
200-4r should go anywhere the 700r4 does.
btw for gm fans, the 200-4r is the same length and spline as a pg or
th350 but has the same rear mount loc as a th400.
third thought - not very practical, but you might find a '69-'71
international or a postal jeep with an early-style six and iron warner.
you could stick with the warner or swap for a fmx.
--
just checked
http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/engine_to_trans_adapters.htm -