[Amc-list] success! bummer!

Got the American all together -- big nightmare with those tally skinny
springs, I gotta make a real factory-type compressor that holds the SIDES
of the spring for this car! --

215/65-R15's BARELY but completely fit. Man it's close! 15x6 wheel
vintiques smoothies, 3-5/8 backspacing, prect for the front, perfect. About
.75" from sidewall to spring. *Just* clears the stupid steering arm. Clears
the fenders on all sides up front except a tiny scrape when the front is
compressed, near lock, as when going up a steep driveway ramp. Less than my
63 Classic so it's fiiiine.

The rears are even closer -- finger width on the FRONT of the fender hole,
luckily minimum when level.

It aligned just fine, and drives great. Absolutely silent front end! No bad
rubber crap!

Motor runs great, clutch seems OK, throw-out bearing silent, no chatter...
starts to grab a bit close to the top of the pedal, though play is OK, I'll
look at. Trans seems fine except the chronically bad synchro isn't all that
great, fine 1-2 and 2-3, less happy 3-2. Probably no short-term failure.
Will check its juice soon.

Might as well cuz it had to be towed home!

New radiator now missing most of it's core. I umm forgot to TIGHTEN the
radiator mount bolts, so it was able to move back about 1/8" - 1/4". And
mainly the motor mounts are bad -- like an IDIOT I did not jack the motor
and trans to see if they are attached or just sitting there with gravity.
Guess which it was.

Worst part is, NAPA carries the mounts and they're only $5.50 each. All
four mounts are the same according to their data, I'll look at the factory
parts book to check later.

I was cruising along heading to Irvine (hey, live large!) 45 mi away, went
over a medium -- not serious -- bump, SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE of the fan
belt... pulled over instantly into a convenient parking spot and all the
green juice exited downward. The fan screwed itself into the core, pulling
the radiator inward on the loose bolts. They were in place and finger-snug,
but not torqued, so that didn't START the problem, they simply encouraged
it, since they allowed it all to flex and close the gap. The fan blade
twisted on itself, a lot of torque! WIll need to check the water pump shaft
for straight.

Happened 4 miles from home. Gotta find a new radiator -- again! $160 down
the drain!

It was very fun to drive all day though. The space between gears 2 and 3 is
quite large; 2-OD is nice but involves much lever stirring. It handles
pretty decently, strangely enough, the tires (TWICE as wide as stock!) work
fine (white-lettered B F GOODRICH RADIAL T/A), the shocks are very soft but
I like that, and it matches the spring rate, once you learn to drive these
squishy things you can do pretty good with 'em. This car suits me just fine!

Worked out a nice fresh-air solution directly to the airbox, I'll document
that soon enough. Gotta buy some of that air cleaner hose crap of
sufficient size for it to work.

BTW those Juliano seat belts are great. They look totally perfect and the
AMC fasteners fit them perfectly. I got tired of messin with junkyard
seatbelts.