[Amc-list] AMC OILING - question -

Inspection of a 401 crank revealed that rods 1,3,5 &7 have their oil
feed hole within the upper main bearing when the piston is at TDC. Rods
2,4,6&8 have their oil feed hole traversing the lower main bearing at
TDC. This suggests that rods 2,4,6&8 are somewhat starved for oil during
the power stroke, which probably is not desireable. That is why I am
curious about cross-drilling the crank. Tom Monroe published a book
about race engines and he states that cross-drilling is important but
does not elaborate about other oiling system mods. that would be
necessary to increase total flow to the bearings; Mr. Monroe was a chief
engineer on the Bricklin project.

thanks, seth

<>

since AMC rods are fed AFTER the AMC mains -
and one  reason people do not crossdrill the mains is
becasue the rods are fed through the mains
and if you cant get oil to the rods you spin a bearing......
but you've rods 2,4,6&8 conceptually are "somewhat starved
for oil during the power stroke, which probably is not desireable"........

how does one solve this AMC dilemma ?

--

    =Bt=
milnersXcoupe