Re: [Amc-list] A front suspension idea!

I don't know why everyone is so in love with those 70-up ball joint upper
arms. They have their problems too!

One, and this is no fault of AMCs, is the poor quality of aftermarket
parts. Ball joints wear and need to be tossed in the trash and replaced;
you're relying increasingly on a diminishing supply. I've bought Moog parts
that are total crap!

Two, the spring perch bushing is not available! John Elle worked out a
decent replacement -- which I have in my Hornet -- but it groans a bit
(urethane, a push-in part, and not molded-in like the OEM part) and I
wonder how it will hold up after 10 years.

I know that the 64-69 AMX type trunnion has problems; I've not torn one
down, but there's some weird rubber part that wears badly, and I don't know
how good aftermarket urethane replacements hold up.

But I'll take the 62-up "big car" upper trunnion system over a ball joint
ANY DAY! The old AMC parts DON'T WEAR OUT! if you do any decent maintenance
(eg. grease annually; 30K recommended) and don't ruin it on assembly. The
thrush bearing is a common part; the knuckle turns in a needle bearing (80)
or plain bearing (10) and basically last forever if greased AT ALL.

The upper trunnions in my 63 Classic are original, 350K miles, 44 years
old, and are as good as NEW. It ain't broke!

The lower arm system -- for non-racers -- works fine with care, if you can
get a good strut bushing in there (half urethane, half rubber...). The
inner bushing is subtle, as John pointed out -- press-fit in one half,
tight clerarance in the other -- to allow for the twisting force.

The lower arm on my '63 10 is, as far as I know, original. Bushings changed
twice by me in 19 years. As far as I can tell it's the same part on 87
COncords, plus and minus shock and/or roll bar holes. It ain't broke!