[Amc-list] A front suspension idea!

O.K., guys,

Take a look at the following URL.

http://www.classicnova.com/product.asp?specific=1555

Also called a 1962-67 NOVA Mini sub frame kit from CPP and can be located
through a web search.

And think about it a bit. There was some noise this year about a possible
Mustang II front suspension conversion to fit AMC cars, have not heard much
on it recently, but here is an alternative that may have some merit. I know
more about the 70+ suspension and for the most part, everything on a 70+
suspension is interchangeable all the way through to end of production of 2
wheel drive cars except the Pacer. The strut rods are the same I think. At
least for the Hornet, Spirit, Concord, Javelin cars and I suspect for the
big cars leaving me to believe the strut rod mount would be the same too!
This lets me guess that the critical dimensions are the same but that can be
proven if needed. (with the exception of the 1970 vs 1971 strut rod as to
the steering stop function but I have ground down 1971 strut rods to use on
1970 suspensions with no problems). this consists of a plate that is some
how bolted into the frame of the Nova to support a full blown A frame type
lower control arm. The basic bugaboo of the ball joint suspension of the AMC
products. I would bet my bottom buck that something of this nature could be
fabricated for the AMC 1970 plus front suspensions and be a universal fit
for ALL 70+ applications if mounting holes that exist for the cross member
and strut rod mount are used to locate the "plate" and a single lower
control arm would fit all applications. This item is under $400.00 not
anywhere near the approximant $1200+ Mustang II package would be and would
eliminate the strut rod completely and all of the problems associated with
the lower control arm and strut rod. As far as trunion applications went, if
I am unnerstanding Frank and others correct there is the late AMERICAN/
Javelin/AMX application and the big car applications and maybe 1 or two
variations in the late 50s and 60's that might also be a candidate for
something of this nature. 'Specially if it gets rid of the strut rod.

WhadaUthink? Any Takers.

John