[Amc-list] Re; Curtis Wright Rotary

Nolan

SNIP

Confused am I ? Yes ! Curtis Wright Rotary engine  ?? I thought the only

rotary being considered was the Wankel.  In fact  I've never heard of a
Curtis

Wright Rotary engine, but then I've been sheltered  all my life.  Please
clarify.

Nolan  Dehner

SNIP

If you do a bit of a web search, my preference is Yahoo and using that and
the following combinations as typed; "Curtis Wright" +Rotary

You will get 604 hits, one of which is

http://www.hesston.edu/academic/faculty/nelsonk/PhysicsResearch/RotaryEngine
DK/history.htm

"Curtis Wright" +Rotary +GM

You will get 88 hits, one of which is

http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg05.htm

"Curtis Wright" +Rotary +GM +AMC

you will get 64 Hits one of which is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_rotary_engine

"Curtis Wright +Rotary +motor cycle

you will get 172 hits one of which will make mention of the Suzuki  motor
cycle which I have seen, an Artic Cat Snowmobile which I have not seen and
others will refer to the NSU roadster that I have also seen. This one when
the trunk was opened looked as if some one had stuck a carburetor on to the
transmission which was bolted to the transaxle affair.  They also at the
time made a little 4 door sedan with an in line air cooled 4 cylinder engine
that was faster than snot. It looked a bit to me as if it was a shrunk down
Corvair as I remember. It too looked a bit funny when you opened the trunk
and I believe it had a swing axle system on it too. So when cornered hard
the wheels assumed some really funny angles. But Ralph Nador left that one
alone, guess he made his fortune panning Corvairs.

There is more to going around and around than just Wanks!

It's too bad that the design was not followed through on and proven to be
workable in time for vehicles such as the Pacer to be successful and quirky
rather than just quirky but as my aged memory serves back in the day just
barely removed from Dinosaurs the rating or equivalent sizes of Rotary
engines as compared to reciprocating engines had not achieved a parity yet
that worked, leaving rotaries pretty much looked upon as gas hogs in there
field and certainly smog compliance which had not been achieved was the
death knell at the time. Mazda, only one of the manufacturers of Rotary
based vehicles pulled theirs off of the market until smog and fuel
consumption (in that order) was dealt with, others just disappeared
completely for ever as interest was lost.

John.