[Amc-list] Re; "A Pacer in Your Future"

Kent

SNIP

I can't help but wonder what the Pacer would have been, had GM not screwed
up the engine deal.  Did AMC change the trannie out to the one that was
used, or was that trannine planned for the rotory engine, as well?  Anyone
know about that?

SNIP

It is generally accepted that the Pacer was originally designed to be a
front wheel drive automobile using the Curtis Wright Rotary engine and a
transaxle sourced from GM. When that fell through the corporate AMC I6 and
the 904 torqueflyte was installed as quickly as possible into the existing
design. If you get the chance to work on a Pacer you will find that the
front sub frame (which has a bit of notoriety as an alternative to a Mustang
II front suspension in hot rods) still exists and is held on to the car with
4 bolts common to the techniques used by contemporary front drive cars. The
fact that the cradle is there does make the car a bit awkward to work on
with the engine and trans combination that came with the car but you can get
a bit of an insight into what it might have looked like if the best laid
plans of mice and men had not gone awry!

John