Re: [Amc-list] Attention Tom! '63 Rambler Hardtop 4 sale!

Re: [Amc-list] Attention Tom! '63 Rambler Hardtop 4 sale!

--On Friday, September 14, 2007 11:42:41 AM -0400 John Elle
<johnelle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Now this is a good example of extreme Rambler mentality. 1963 Rambler
> American Hardtop, 440hp 302, C4, A/C MustangII, 9" less than 100 miles,
> award winning and feature car in national shows and
> magazines------$36,000.00

Yow!

Cool, I'll umm sell mine as soon as it runs!

> They're worth more hotrodded.

Well, in this car I can see why, to be honest. It's a really difficult car
to pull up to modern reliability standards with the stock parts. The 63
Classic, no problemo. I can -- and have -- made it as reliable as a new
car, drive-anywhere-anytime. 70 Hornet etc too obviously.

The early American really is a very old Nash design. I now really don't
fully trust the front suspension. I'll write up more about it, but it's got
very many weak spots.

The engine compartment is microscopic as everyone knows. The transmission
and rear are problem areas.

But the chassis itself is great. It's cool looking, brutally simple like a
late 40's car, unbelievably easy to reach most anything, small and light.
Overall quality is very very high. The 44 year old door hinges have
near-zero play and the doors >click< closed like a new car. Panel fit is
great. The hardtop roof is beautiful.

So yeah, sawzall the firewall and stick a cookie-cutter 8 in there, sigh.

Seriously, I would consider cutting the firewall to install an AMC six and
trans, and get a Vintage Air heater/AC. There's basically nothing in the
way other than the brake lines. Setting the engine mass back 6" (which is
about how much it needs to fit!) wouldn't hurt weight distribution either.

I bought the Ford 144/177/20/250 performance book [we should make one fo
rthe AMC six!], and awaiting forum signup. That's probably the easiest
non-AMC swap and the least offensive, but it does mean engine/trans/rear,
and to use the twin stick console, a bunch of work. Without console twin
stick, an aftermarket floor shifter would be fine.

It's a tough car to hack.