Re: [Amc-list] Hydrogen power

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 05:41:27 Sandwich Maker wrote:

> more efficient approaches that have near-total consumption of the
> fissionable load, with safety 'baked in', are on the drawing boards.
> these even largely solve the disposal problem by leaving little or
> nothing but lead to dispose of.  you can bet japan will build them
> sooner or later.  india is getting interested...

Supporting my point that with longer-term considerations -- beyond simple
profit -- it would be a lot better. Corporations need to make profit.
Countries with long-term plans try to build or influence their environment in
the long term. I'm not saying I want the US gov't to do the same; but the
American system has some really serious failures in this sort of area.

> how about solar power satellites, constructed in space from lunar-mined
> material?  the startup costs are about as staggering as you can
> imagine, but once you could pop one out it'd be a self-sustaining
> industry.  i've been re-reading gerard o'neill's 'the high frontier'.
> some of his economics is hopelessly optimistic, but still...

Whereever the materials would come from, it does seem like a good idea. Who's
got the vision to start on it though?

Vastly reducing consumption is A#1. It's been burdened with the "conservation"
label which industry has made out as 'freezing in the dark'. Nonsense. It
means smart design, a tremendous growth industry America would be/is
fantastic at.