[Amc-list] OT: Hurst shifter

I put the hurst shifter in the Dakota last night.
It was an easy swap, only took an  hour.
Good thing too, it was 90 degrees and steaming humidity! Plus the truck was hot so when I pulled the floor boot all the heat rolled up into the trucks cab! Wonderful!
  Anyway, now that its in, my thoughts.
The throws are nice and short.
The orignal owner pulled two of the tension springs that center the shifter.
That sucks as it make the shifter not center on its own.
It is impossible to find 4th gear on a 5-4 downshift!
I will be taking the boot out tonight to put those springs back in place.
If that doesn't fix it, back on ebay it will go :[
It's also stiff to shift. Not exactly what I want with a bad shoulder.
I'll live with that for a while as the shifter is brand new and I expect it to loosen up.
The seller said he only had it in place for 200 miles when he ordered a new truck. He said he already bought a new shifter for that truck when it comes in. I did not ask what he bought and this shifter does indeed look to be brand new. I even got the custom sewn boot he had made and the spacer that is required to put this in an 01 up Dakota, all for less then the cost of a new shifter, plus he had the lever powder coated black! he lost and easy $100+ on the deal. Even if i sell it I will be OK, Frank paid for $60 of it :]
  I just hope it loosens up and the centering springs clean up the downshift.

I'd write about some Rambler stuff, but the urge to do anything escapes me right now...

At least my weekends are clear on the calendar at work through the end of the month!

My little bottle of pills is darned near empty.

Joy...

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV