Re: [Amc-list] IH as first "SUV"

On Wednesday 05 September 2007 11:32:04 msproviero@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> With four wheel drive apparently being their deciding factor, its
> disappointing that they completely overlooked the 1949 Willys Utility
> Wagon.

I think the deciding factor really is a marketing one; the Travelall ads
showed women driving them, and it used for pleasure, not just work. After
all, an SUV is a totally made-up category that merely took advantage of the
taxation and/or CAFE standards of trucks to work people emotionally, it's not
like it serves a need for hardly anyone. "I feel safer" isn't a need, it's an
intentionally manipulated response to very clever marketing.