Re: [Amc-list] dogdish hubcaps, ...

" From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
"
"  A friend bought one of those cars with the Interceptor 429 in it for $125! He prompltly tore it up for the engine and trans :[ It was an automatic car, but still way cool! I rememebr the column shift in it did not have a low gear selection. You could only pull it down to second. That was so the cops didn't tear the trans out when taking off from a rolling start! They had a tendancy to grap the shifter and rip it down as far as it would go and floor it!

yup.  when you're in a hurry...  you could also tear the motor up real
fast, since it would hold first gear and not upshift.

i'm surprised they allowed second, for the same reason.  maybe they
were geared high enough that you couldn't go fast enough even in
second to overrev the motor.

i've seen panther [ford ltd] police cars less than 10 years old with
steelies - 17"! - and hubcaps.