Re: [Amc-list] Rebuilding my transmission and adding power (steering)

Re: [Amc-list] Rebuilding my transmission and adding power (steering)

Thomas, I didn't read the whole message!
I've added power steering using a late model steering box. You don't
have to change the column, not if you're willing to cut the shaft from
the original steering box and grind it to mount an adapter. The tricky
part is making sure you cut it the right length! Of course you can cut
it long, then measure what you need to remove. Making 2-3 cuts is better
than getting it to short! Mounting the box can be tricky too. You don't
need the adapter that AMC used, but you will need to make a spacer and
drill a couple 3/8" holes in your front chassis rails. The only thing
you really need to be concerned about is that the pitman arm on the new
box is the same length as the old one and the taper on the end that goes
into the steering drag link is the same. The taper changed around 67
(I'm not exactly sure when it changed). You may have to weld the drag
link and buy a taper boring tool to make it work right. If you have the
setup from a 65-66 Classic or Ambassador you can just change the
steering column and all, everything will bolt right into the 63-64 big car.

The original 63-64 power steering used a hydraulic cylinder that doubled
as the drag link. It was anchored to the passenger side of the car, and
the standard steering box pushed against a valve on the other end,
activating power assist. Those are leak prone now, and the dust seals
are hard to find. The inner seals are simple o-rings though, so it's not
to hard to rebuild, and you can fabricate some dust seals or may be able
to modify early 60s Ford parts to work (they used a similar setup-- may
be same manufacturer).

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"