Re: [Amc-list] Rebuilding my transmission and adding power brakes.

Re: [Amc-list] Rebuilding my transmission and adding power brakes.

Thomas, what "the guy" told you is sort of correct -- if you're an
experienced fabricator and you know enough about braking systems to make
it work SAFELY. In other words, it's nothing for a novice to attempt. I
worked on brakes for years before I attempted any such things, and only
then after I had a through understanding of hydraulic brakes and how
they work.

There is one relatively easy and safe interchange though. You can use a
66-69 Ford Torino or Fairlane power brake setup. You may have to modify
the length of the rod from pedal to booster, and will have to use
adapters or replace the lines from the master cylinder to the junction
block (the lines are easy to replace -- that's the safest thing to do).
The 66-69 Torino/Fairlane setup uses the correct 1" bore master cylinder
and has the offset mount (raises the booster and MC for clearance)
needed. A 7" booster with MC sells for $300 at www.mpbrakes.com (part
#BM1510). IF YOU ORDER FROM MPBRAKES either tell them you have a 66-69
Torino or that you have a custom built street rod and that's what was
used. If you tell them it's for an AMC they'll say they don't have AMC
parts. It bolts up, but by telling them it's a custom setup you're
assuming responsibility for the way the system works, and fitting it.
You may have to enlarge or slot (file) the mounting holes for the
bracket, but I installed one of these in a 65-66 Rambler years ago and
don't recall doing that. I do remember having to adjust the rod from the
pedal to the booster, but I believe it was just getting the eccentric
bushing in the pedal adjusted right.

If you're "rolling your own" system, you can use the booster and bracket
from a 74-86 CJ-5 or CJ-7 with power brakes, but flip it UPSIDE DOWN.
The CJs use the bracket to LOWER the MC to clear the hood, Ramblers use
it to RAISE the MC to clear the engine and steering column. A 52-72 full
size Ford bracket and booster will work also. You can't use the MC
unless you have the big 3.1" piston Bendix (from 75-78 Matador, 76 all
AMCs) or 71-74 Kelsey Hayes front brakes. The big Fords use a 1-1/8"
bore MC, as does the AMCs mentioned above (for power disc brakes) -- all
other AMC disc brake and drum brake setups use a 1" bore MC (early 70s
cars w/non-power front discs use a 1-1/16" MC). So you have to change
the MC. When you do that, you may have to adjust the rod between the
booster and MC. The MC for a 66-69 Torino will fit the big Ford and CJ
booster. AMC spec MCs fit both also.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"