[Amc-list] Matt Haas: Bad turn signal switch collector

[Amc-list] Matt Haas: Bad turn signal switch collector

I think I've posted before on how much my 67 American hates me but I
think at this point, a new level has been reached. For those that don't
have a program, here's the hateful things with this car so far:

- It has 1966 brakes on it which are harder to find parts for and
expensive when you do find them.
- Every flare nut on all of the hard lines was rusted in place (this
made removing the fuel pump a lot of fun since I had to remove the fuel
pump and carburetor as an assembly to get the fuel pump off).
- One of the screws holding down the distributor cap fused in place
because the cap had a steel screw on one side (that was an easy fix with
a hammer).
- The original coil developed an oil leak on the carpet of my last truck.
- The water pump and pistons changed in 1967 making both of those parts
hard to find, expensive, and delaying the engine rebuild enough to miss
a show.

And the latest:
- I have gone through three bad replacement turn signal switches so far
(BTW, these are also expensive but I've *only* had to buy two so far --
the first was NOS). All I'm trying to do is get it to where you don't
have to hold the lever in place to indicate a right hand turn but what
do I get instead? The first replacement didn't allow the right brake
light to come on (it blinked just fine with the turn signal switch) and
the second and third cause the brake lights to blink when the turn
signals are off. Of course, the real problem is that some Heinstein
decided it would be a good idea to rivet the canceling cam to the turn
signal switch so I have pulled and re-installed the turn signal switch
four times now. I was tempted to directly wire around the switch so the
brake lights work but I fear that it would aggravate me so much that I'd
only end up using a single finger doing hand signals so I put the
original switch back in today.

Matt

--
mhaas@xxxxxxx