----------
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 12:49:47 +0000
From: "Andrew Blomer" <lotharamc@xxxxxxxxxxx>

This relates to some discussions recently. This is on a 66 232 in a Classic

I just did a rering job along with a newly ground crank. I didn't change the
cam bearings, or cam. I did replace the lifters because I forgot about them
the first time I turned the engine over (physically) without the head on.
About half of them fell out and landed in the grimmy pan I had under the
engine stand.

It is all together and running now, but noisy. I have 60 psi oil pressure at
startup, and 45-50 when its warm. When I start it after letting it sit
overnight, I get very loud lifter/valvetrain type noises for about 3
seconds, and then it quiets down. It is almost as loud as a bearing type
knock, but sounds like a valvetrain type sound. After that, it sounds like a
small Kabota deisel tractor. Kinda groully ticking. Oh yeah, I did run the
engine for 15 minutes to try to match the lifters to the cam.

Thats what I have....so far what I have done...
I removed the valve cover to listen and see if anything was wrong. The
rockers seemed a little dry so I removed the bolt where the oil comes in,
and found I had a partial clog. I cleaned that location out, along with all
the other bolt locations, in order, down the shaft to make sure there wasn't
another clog down the line. I did this while it was running so the oil would
push out whatever I got loose. When I was done, there was plenty of oil up
top, and the consistent noise had reduced some, but not even close to what
it should be.

Now I notice that the marks I put on the pushrods for reassembly are
spinning. All except for 3 of them at various unrelated locations. 2 are
spinning like tops (1 rev per second), and the rest are turning about 1 rev
per 4-5 seconds. Concerning the 3 that arn't turning. If I turn one (any) by
hand about 90 degrees, it will rotate around at the 4-5 second pace until it
gets to its favorite spot and stop again.

My deduction.... I think the loud startup noise is from the old worn cam
bearings allowing the oil to drain down overnight. The lifters drain and
take a few seconds to pump up again. The quiter constant clacking/ticking is
from the new lifters not conforming to the old cam, not rotating, and
probably wearing down the cam lobe the more I run it.

The recent discussion content?... I broke it in with 15W40 rotela, and had
assembly lube on the cam. (new lifters, old cam)

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I just put this thing back
together and am not looking forward to taking it apart again.

I know this is long, but I wanted to get all the information I could out
there.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"