Re: [Amc-list] How do I install a distributor

Wayne E LaMothe wrote:
> Other may do it differently but line up the timing mark on the harmonic
> balancer with the zero degree mark.  Use a long screwdriver and rotate
> the oil pump slot until it is pointing to 11 O:clock.  Drop the dizzy in
> and the rotor should swing around to the number 1 wire spot.  Should be
> close enough to work.  Worse case is that it is 180 out.

Also, if you do a "thumb check" for compression on the #1 cylinder
(assuming normal rotating direction), you'll then know when it's at the
top of it's compression stroke, ready for the plug to fire. That should
eliminate the possibility of being 180 off.

This is easier if you have a helper, but can be done alone.

- steve c. (trying not to be a useless list-lurker ;)