Re: [Amc-list] 79amx front frame

Gary, there is no Mustang II kit that will easily fit the Concord body.
If you look close you'll see that the existing suspension is very close
to the MII design, except the springs are mounted high.

I see your problem though! If the spring tower is rusted away, you only
have two choices -- replace it with a good one or cut it all out and go
with a tubular front frame section. Finding a replacement would be easy
enough -- any Hornet, Gremlin, Concord, Spirit, or even Eagle should
have everything you need. You'd need to do a bit of trimming around the
front, maybe splice the front edge of the old car to the new, but that's
not much work.

As far as a tube frame, I'd get something like the clip kits for a 62-65
Chevy II with MII type suspension
(http://www.streetrodparts.tv/tci_nova-clips-online.htm). The old Chevy
II clip bolted on. You'd need to cut the AMC off right at the firewall,
weld a plate in front of the "frame" rail stubs, then mate the Chevy II
clip to it. you might need to extend the rear of the Chevy II clip to
meet the AMC body. You'll need to do some tube work to support the
fenders and radiator, and a little engine mount work, but that's the
easiest way out. The 110" wheelbase of the Nova is very close to the
108" wheelbase of the Hornet. Steering geometry will be off a little,
but not enough to grossly affect steering. You will get a little tire
scrub when making sharp turns such as in a parking lot, but shouldn't be
able to tell the difference in normal driving.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"