[Amc-list] my 63 american

Finally got some time in!

Gas tank completely installed now. Sealed inside, clean and painted outside,
new filter sock and float, new O-ring.

THe filler neck is all rubber! Damn. It was in decent shape, still soft, no
cracks when I flexed it. It had a worm-type clamp instead of those factory
wire jobs so maybe it was replaced in the last 40 years.

I found a real solution to the american upper trunnion bolt. I'm very
satisfied with it, and even if I had new trunnion bolts sitting here (at
$70/pair), I would use my new fix instead. It's superior.

I took a 5.25" length of chrome moly 5/8-11 threaded rod (not cheap!), turned
down to .590" OD. Milled a flat it's entire length one side, about .040", and
a parallel flat on the other just over the width of the trunnion casting.
Cross-drilled a #18 or so hole in the center of the flat. (I milled the flat
full length to aid aligning it, but it's unnecessary.)

Drilled a hole for a zerk in the flat part of the casting that faces the tire,
right into the threaded hole.

The upper arms assemble to the trunnion, but you insert the rod such that the
hole in the casting lines up with the hold in the chrome moly rod. Now you
can get grease to the BACK of the trunnion. Grease will run along both flats
and exit out the ends of the casting (4 places).

Remove the zerk, and you can poke a drill bit in the hole to clean it out, or
align during asssembly.

A pair of grade 8 nuts run up to the flat of the upper arm does what the
original bolt and nut did. I'm double-nutting them for safety.

Generic O-rings and generic Buna-N neoprene cups from MSC Direct work great.

I assembled this all, it works great. I'm only missing a tap for the zerk
fitting, it's a small pipe thread I don't have.

I took a lot of photos and will do a how-to page.