[Amc-list] Re; Replacement Carb Suggestions

[Amc-list] Re; Replacement Carb Suggestions

John
SNIP
I want to swap out the 2 barrel carb on my 70 360 for a 4 barrel.
 I picked up a stock 4 barrel manifold in kenosha last weekend.
 Now I am looking for a Carb.
SNIP
AMC used a Motorcraft Ford Carburetor with Chevrolet linkage in
1970 making this carburetor extremely hard to find used and
very expensive as a replacement. The AMC throttle linkage is
Chevrolet.
This carburetor also has a reputation as a very poor carburetor
and 37 years after the fact, hard to find the plastic parts for it,
if they are needed.
Also, IF the manifold that you purchased happens to be one
for the middle ?70?s Motorcraft (also Ford) spread bore carburetor
and is also an EGR manifold be advised it is too light to use
as a boat anchor so just throw it away now, the only thing that
fits that manifold is one of those spread bore carburetors and
you really do not want to go there! There are no adapters for
that manifold for anything that I know of.

SNIP
so I am looking for a simple bolt on that will work with existing
linkage (it has an Automatic).  Any suggestions?
SNIP

Open up your Edelbrock Catalog and buy the recommended
Performer 4bbl for AMC applications. I have one used, but
it is going on my 360.
Or look for a used Chevrolet application Carter or Edelbrock 4bbl
In 1970 AMC used a phenolic spacer about ½ inch thick for
heat insulation between the carburetor and the intake manifold
and to mount the breather tube for the PCV valve. You might
be able to find these parts at a hot rod shop of some form, or
use an aluminum spacer with gaskets at both sides and plumb
PCV valve tube directly to the carburetor or make a spacer
from wood. I like Cherry cause it looks so good, but Mahogany
looks good too!
600ish cfm is a good range to be in as far as size goes.

John