[Amc-list] early american trunnion upper bolt

[Amc-list] early american trunnion upper bolt

John, you were right!

I'm making my own replacement trunnion bolt, nut, lubrication system and
seals. Screw that old crap.

Literally every inch of both bolts had to be ground into dust to remove them.
All I was able to preserve was one half-inch piece. I am not exaggerating.
(While I think it's a lousy design, any maintenance at all would have left
the car usable, clearly previous owners during the car's hey day were
negligent.)

I have one little piece of it left. It looked funny to me, thread peaks were
flat. When John Elle was over, he thought it looked like reduced diameter.
That's exactly what it is...

The trunnion bolt hole is 5/8-11 thread, standard 5/8" NC, so's the bolt, but
reduced to .590" OD. The nice chunk of chrome-moly threaded rod I bought to
make replacements is .625" OD. Gonna chuck it up here on the school lathe and
reduce it.

I think the reason for the reduced diameter is two-fold; one, it's 3" of
threaded casting, and it's a lot of friction, reducing the OD lowers that but
not overall strength (which is gross overkill anyways). Two, it's a half-fast
(sic) way of allowing a bit of grease to get in there. Clearly that doesn't
work very well!