Re: [Amc-list] off topic but: Ford Torino

Re: [Amc-list] off topic but: Ford Torino

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 07:32 -0400, greg_taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
" > 62-63 Full Size Jeeps had the 230-OHC engine.  I almost bought one from
" > the boneyard to run in the Spirit race car.  I believe the 64+ FSJ's had
" > the 232 from then on.
"
" Of course, that makes sense... I assume this motor is long and is not a
" candidate for the little Americans.

i'd assume it's -short- and -tall-; small bore and long stroke - and
it's heavy...  i wouldn't be surprised to see 600 or 700 lbs...

remember, it fit under the fsj hood, but when they went to the 232
they became the -other- app of the short '65 american water pump.

" From: greg_taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"
" Yes, the 230-OHC was based off the Kaiser 226, which was based off of the
" WWII era Continental I-6.  As far as research goes, the 230/226 have a
" unique bell housing.

the 'kaiser' 226 -was- the continental 226.  4 and 6 cylinder versions
of the continental f family were made afaik up into the '90s.  they
were widely used as industrial engines, in forklifts and tractors, and
big honking construction site compressor and welder trailers.

rebuild parts are still fairly easy to get.

" There were "some" 230's with TH400's adapted to them in the FSJ's, from
" discussions on the FSJ-List.

the mitchell master interchange also suggested this.  '65 as 230 - 232
crossover year?