Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel - Did AMC ever create one? (Archimedes)

Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel - Did AMC ever create one? (Archimedes)

>---
>
>Message: 7
>Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:28:54 -0500
>From: Arvon Griffiths <arfonrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 Diesel - Did AMC ever create one?
>To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

>>Squirting the diesel in behind the valve should even be okay, then
>>use the sparker hole for a glow plug for cold starts. Wonder if that
>>would work? If not, you'd have to use the sparker hole for an
>>injector or do some major machine work.
>>

>I may be wrong but, I was to understand that diesels inject fuel
>directly into the cylinder and it burns as it is being injected.
>
>IF you can inject fuel from behind a valve, how do you keep it from
>igniting while the intake valve is open? And/or how do you get it to
>ignite once the valves are closed?

Arvon is correct, 'diesel' engine as used in conversation is more
accurately a 'Compression Ignition Engine'.  The heat of compression
heats the air in the cylinder and the fuel is sprayed in and starts
burning.  The reason for high injection pressure is that the fuel has to
be atomized while it is being injected during the power stroke.