Re: [Amc-list] off topic but: Ford Torino

Re: [Amc-list] off topic but: Ford Torino

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
" Industries Kaiser Argentina built some Ramblers in Argentina
" through the 70s (60s model Ramblers). They also "Argentinized" one --
" the Torino.
" []
" The engine was the Kaiser 230 cubic
" inch OHC six originally developed for the full size Jeep.
" []
" The most powerful version of the 230 used
" three sidedraft Webers and I believe produced 380 hp (thus the 380W
" designation).

my first thought was that it related to displacement - 230 cubes is
3800 cc.  i'm not sure i'd believe 380hp from any production engine
of that size and era not on a bottle or blower.

iirc the motor was an ingenious design that used the same cam lobe for
both intake and exhaust, depending on the 'hemi angle' to set the
'lobe centers' and thus overlap.  this would limit what you could do
with cam event design, and also iirc all the motors - triple webers
included - used the same cam, probably inherited from kaiser along
with everything else.

this car was also the gold standard in south american road racing for
many years, due to its power and especially its rugged construction.