Re: [Amc-list] off topic but: Ford Torino

Re: [Amc-list] off topic but: Ford Torino

Really Dave, I thought you were an AMC fan!! ;>   Just kidding -- a lot
of people still don't know about the IKA-Renault Torino (as Tom pointed
out). Industries Kaiser Argentina built some Ramblers in Argentina
through the 70s (60s model Ramblers). They also "Argentinized" one --
the Torino. Most people look at it and think it's just a Rogue with a
new grille, rear end, and dash, but it's much more than that! It's
actually a Classic coupe with Rogue front and rear parts. The front
rails extend all the way to the back instead of ending just under the
driver's seat for added strength. The engine was the Kaiser 230 cubic
inch OHC six originally developed for the full size Jeep. US mechanics
didn't like the "exotic" OHC design and blamed it for all sorts of
problems. The Argentines won their class at the 1969 Nurburgring
endurance race with the identical design engine and the Torino. The
engine was later improved with seven main bearings in the early 70s, but
the 69 model just had four. The most powerful version of the 230 used
three sidedraft Webers and I believe produced 380 hp (thus the 380W
designation).

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"