[Amc-list] Idle speed and PCV / Oil Filler Cap Questions ....

[Amc-list] Idle speed and PCV / Oil Filler Cap Questions ....

Hi all,
I have the oil filler cap vent hooked directly to the PCV port on my
Holley carb (360-V8 in '89 GW) and a long tube with a vent filter
stuck into the stock PCV grommet at the back of the intake.  I've run the
Jeep like this for a long time (no PCV valve).  However, I
decided to squeeze off the hose from the oil fill cap to the PCV port on
the carb.  When I did this, the idle dropped by about 200-300 RPM
(it was idling too high).

Does anyone know how critical the PCV valve is on the Jeep?

Also, I'm considering that originally, the oil fill cap had "some vacuum"
to it, since it hooked to the air cleaner, and that the PCV
valve side also had "more vacuum" to it ... I'm thinking that perhaps I
should modify my current setup, as it would appear that I have
created a "vacuum leak" since I'm sucking air through the engine now.

Any thoughts on this setup, folks?  Thanks for the input.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor :)  <><