Re: [Amc-list] 4-Speed Wagon?

" From: "Richard Estermyer" <javelinman74@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Just wondering and a bit of dreaming.
" Would it be possible to put a 4-speed trans in the 75 Matador Wagon?  The
" auto trans is bleeding a lot and the bench rebuild looks around $650.  Would
" there be pedel sets that would bolt in and linkage and such for this big
" monster?  I believe that the trans may not be a problem as it bolts up to
" the bell housing and probably an adjustment for the drive shaft length?
"
" Anything else needed to know, IF, this could really be done?
" Thanks for the time, knowledge and input!

i think you're in luck!  iirc '75 was the first year for the t150 3sp,
and it should've been available across the board, so pedals,
driveshaft, etc should all be stock parts.  if not, '76 or '77 should
fit and work.

now the t150 is a ford toploader - made by tremec after ford sold off
their tranny operation - and the 4sp from all but the big blocks and
'60s big cars is exactly the same length, spline, and bolt pattern.
it drops right in!  you of course have to forego a column shifter...
most common is a 2.78 1st gear.